KHUNJERAB PASS CHALLENGE 2022
Pakistan Air Force, in a joint collaboration with Z Adventures & Serena Hotels, presents the 2nd edition of this unique running challenge in Northern Pakistan. The event will take place on 20 September 2022 at Khunjerab Pass on the Pakistan / China border.
2020 & 2021 events were cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak.
ABOUT KHUNJERAB PASS
The Khunjerab Pass, at 4,693 meters, is the highest paved international border crossing in the world and the highest point on the Karakoram Highway.
ABOUT THE RACE
After successfully organizing numerous ski competitions and marathons, Pakistan Air Force has once again teamed up with Z Adventures & Serena Hotels to promote the sport of long-distance running. To this effect, the 2nd edition of the highest road race in the world under the PAF banner will take place at Khunjerab Pass on 20 September 2022.
50 International athletes from around the world (including 500 local runners) will be selected to take part in the race. Half the spots will be allocated to female runners. Interested international athletes are requested to complete the online application form below. All applications will be reviewed by the committee and selected runners will be notified by email in the 4th week of May.
International Runners: USD 895.00 per person. This includes all transportation, accommodation, meals, marathon entry fee, finisher's medal, T-shirt and sightseeing. Runners would need to book their own return flight to Islamabad, Pakistan.
Pakistani Passport Holders: Rs. 3,000.00 per person. This includes marathon entry fee, return transportation from Sost to Kunjerab Pass, T-shirt and finisher's medal. Runners need to make their own way to Sost and book their own accommodation.
Residents of Gilgit-Baltistan: FREE ENTRY. This includes marathon entry, return transportation from Sost to Kunjerab Pass, T-shirt and finisher's medal. Runners need to make their own way to Sost and book their own accommodation.
As part of sports diplomacy, we will be supporting a local charity. Part of the entry fee will be donated to help improve the economic and social life of the beneficiaries of the charity. More details about the charity will be shared in due course.
Custom-designed medal and T-shirt for all finishers; and trophies and cash awards for Top 3 male / female in each category.
As approved by Guinness World Records, it is the highest road race in the world starting at 4,693m. It will be a downhill point-to-point course. Maps will be uploaded soon.
Saturday 17 September 2022: Arrival in Islamabad
- Arrival of international athletes in Islamabad (507m).
- Meet and greet by Pakistan Air Force officials who will escort athletes to the host hotel.
- Lunch at the hotel.
- Race briefing and dinner in the evening.
Sunday 18 September 2022: Flight to Gilgit
- Breakfast at the hotel and check-out.
- All athletes will board the C130 Air Force plane from Islamabad to Gilgit (1,500m). The flight time is a little under one hour.
- Overnight in Gilgit.
- Lunch & dinner in Gilgit.
In case of bad weather, alternative arrangements will be made to drive athletes in special buses to Gilgit on the world-famous Karakoram Highway. The travel time by bus is between 10-12 hours.
Monday 19 September 2022: Gilgit to Sost
- Breakfast at the hotel and check-out.
- Athletes will board special buses to travel from Gilgit (1,500m) to Sost (2,800m) for further acclimatisation.
- On the way, we will break in Hunza (2,438m) and Attabad Lake (2,560m) for lunch and sightseeing.
- Delivery of race bibs and final instructions to runners.
- Overnight accommodation and dinner in Sost.
Tuesday 20 September 2022: Ultra Marathon, Marathon & Half Marathon
- Early breakfast followed by a 2-hour drive to Khunjerab Pass for race start.
- All 3 events will start from Khunjerab Pass (Pakistan-China border).
- Post-race dinner in Sost.
- Overnight in Sost.
As this is a high-altitude event, we will have a 6.5 hour cut-off for the races. The course will be patrolled by armed forces personnel. After the last runner finishes, athletes will be escorted back to Sost.
Wednesday 21 September 2022: Return to Islamabad
- Athletes will take the early morning bus from Sost to Gilgit and then catch the afternoon flight back to Islamabad.
- Lunch & dinner in Islamabad.
In case of bad weather, alternative arrangements will be made to travel back by bus.
Thursday 22 September 2022: Sightseeing & Gala dinner in Islamabad
- Sightseeing tours will be arranged in Islamabad for all foreign athletes.
- Farewell gala dinner and award ceremony will take place at the race hotel in the evening.
- Breakfast, lunch & dinner at the hotel.
Friday 23 September 2022: Flight back to home country
- All international athletes will be dropped off to the airport to catch their return flight home.
NOTE: As the world is currently gripped in the coronavirus pandemic, the event may be postponed or cancelled if the situation does not improve. Therefore, we strongly advise everyone not to book any flights until the event is confirmed. The entry fee will be due only when the event is confirmed to proceed as scheduled.
The registration form is for international runners only. Registration for Pakistani passport holders (living in Pakistan or abroad) will open in early July 2022.
VIDEOS FROM PREVIOUS EVENTS
KHUNJERAB PASS MARATHON 2019
KARAKORAM MARATHON 2018